At the Whinless Down Academy Trust we provide the children with the fundamental skills that can be applied in a range of physical activities and sports. These skills are built on year by year in a progressive and sequenced way to ensure that pupils build on prior capabilities and aptitudes. We promote the enjoyment, and positive attitudes, towards physical activity and its contribution to life-long health-related fitness and mental well-being. All children experience a broad range of sporting opportunities through a wide range of disciplines ensuring that we cover the national curriculum (2013) programme of study of, games, gymnastics, swimming, dance and OAA. We encourage our children to demonstrate school values through physical activity, understanding fair play and good sportsmanship.
Our PE curriculum is varied, and our long-term plans ensure that we meet the requirements of the National Curriculum 2013.
- At The Whinless Down Academy Trust, we ensure we provide challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities providing a comprehensive range of sporting disciplines including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and Outdoor Adventurous Activities.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- All children are offered supplementary activities across their primary school time covering a variety of sports when those disciplines are not the focus for that term. For example, Year 2 are given the opportunity to experience Jazz dancing in Term 1 and Year 4 Trampolining in Term 4. These supplementary sessions ensure children are given the opportunity to experience something new and receive a wide variety of opportunities and experiences
- All pupils receive one hour of high quality PE using the vast outside space or school hall led by qualified sports coaches. During these sessions, children receive expert coaching to develop fundamental skills through a variety of activities and games suitable to their age and key stage.
- Children at Whinless Down Academy Trust also receive one hour across the week of high intensity active activities led by the class teacher such as ‘The Daily Mile’ or ‘Wake Up, Shake up’.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the MAT and local area. These events develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Swimming is organised in a range of different ways across the MAT and is planned to ensure that the cultural capital of all children is levelled.
- Physical Education is fundamental in developing healthy lifestyles in young people and at Whinless Down Academy Trust, we provide a wide array of opportunities to develop this and sporting skills outside of the normal curriculum time. Regular extra-curricular clubs are very popular and offer a wide variety of sports, including: Cheerleading, football, trampolining and cricket.
- Our Active Playground also provides our children the opportunity to play games, team games and hone their skills and understanding of what it is to be a good sportsperson.
At the Whinless Down Academy Trust, we: ·
- Build a PE curriculum which offers children the opportunity to develop skills, competence and confidence,
- Provide a broad range of sporting activities for children to practise and apply new skills as well as new experiences to build on cultural capital,
- Provide a range of opportunities to be competitive within our school community and the wider community,
- Encourage children to lead healthy, active lives and understand the impact of physical activity on the human body.
- Enable children to make informed decisions about what it is they enjoy and excel at and what they want to develop further.